We have launched a national civic engagement tour geared to a diverse group of health care providers, patients, policy makers, health care advocates and community members; anyone with a heartbeat.
The project has seven major goals:
• Expose dimensions of racism in the health care system through the showing of a powerful film, The Deadliest Disease in America
• Conduct participatory workshops to explore diverse topics related to overcoming racism in health care
• Educate a new group of community leaders and medical professionals, giving them the tools to mobilize their communities for change
• Build collaborative leadership within their community to address one issue towards closing the gap
• Promote public accountability at the individual level, organizational level, and institutional level of society for systematic change to overcome racism
• Reduce racially and culturally insensitive barriers to health care access
• Promote policy changes to the delivery system to provide equal quality of care to all persons, regardless of race and ethnicity.